Thursday, August 27, 2015

The word is out

One of the reasons for the long spaces between these posts is that I’ve found it difficult to be positive.  I’m sure that reading previous posts one will sometimes sense a measure of sarcasm and cynicism.  Well, for the last few months I’ve really struggled with some personal attitudes; that cynicism, anger, and frustration among them, and I haven’t been a person God wants me to be, others would like me to be, or even who I want to be.  It’s easy to make excuses, but really that’s all they are, excuses.


 
My main excuse:  Things here haven’t been good, not Uganda, but YWAM Hopeland.  For years sin and mismanagement have been allowed to abide comfortably creating an atmosphere of division, mistrust, fear, and apathy.  The perfect place for a critical cynic like me, right.  But it’s where God sent us, and unfortunately I allowed it to affect me, adding to my already pretty negative persona.  Again, it’s an excuse, not an acceptable reason for my negative attitude, so for that I’m asking your forgiveness.

Regarding the excuse, the sin and mismanagement, some things are changing.  There are still some strongholds to be broken, but there is attention and pressure from within and without, and God is working to restore this place to what He desires it to be.  There is a group of young people here that God is using to change me, and others, and this place.  We need your prayers…
Homes of Hope was active again recently.  I wasn’t nearly as involved this time.  They were able to make one mold locally and produce enough foam blocks (before running out of chemicals) to build the exterior walls of a home.  The inside walls were made from wood.  This time, instead of bringing in an outside team, a group of local pastors was organized to do most of the work, and more importantly, to be a part of the process.  The goal is to have it a locally administered program involving the local community.

"Wow, it's like the Sheraton"
I have completed the bathroom project that has consumed (too) much of my time, and am now focusing on the vocational school which will begin September 14.  We will be sharing a classroom with another program for widows which will start at the same time, and split our time between there and some storerooms on the chicken farm.  Part of the initial phase of the school will be to refurbish those storerooms into classroom and workshop space until more acceptable and permanent spaces are built.

There hasn’t been a young men’s vocational school here for many years, and there are very little records and no curriculum to work with, so it’s like starting from scratch.  Translating my ideas and vision into a useable, teachable format is challenging, as is the business of starting the school.  There are many things about the systems; educational, governmental, etc, which I know nothing about, but which I’m learning.  It also feels to me like we’re doing things at the last minute without enough preparation, and even though for my personality that’s difficult, it seems to be the norm here, and seems to be coming together.

For months various people have come around or called saying something like: “I hear there’s a boy’s vocational school here, when does it start, how many can I send…?”  Generally, lots of interest, affirming the need and desire for vocational training opportunities, so we didn’t feel the need to ‘advertise’, and were cautioned against telling too many, as we might be overwhelmed with applicants.  So we printed 30 applications, made a signup sheet for 60, set up chairs and announced interviews for Monday at 9:00, all for the eight who came (or were brought by their sponsors).  I’m told that’s typical, more will be coming (they have and are), but it again challenges me to be understanding of a culture different than my own.  Of course the biggest hurdles students face are financial; coming up with the money for school fees, or even finding the 1500 schillings (50 cents) for the taxi to get to the interview is prohibitive.  We believe, though, that we will have just the right group of students here when the school begins.  The ones God has planned, not just for them, but for us as well.
Future vocational school: Far door for classroom, next two access workshop
classroom
workshop: wall on right will come down to join similar space on the other side


Beth has been in the US since the beginning of the month spending time with family and friends.  I know it’s been refreshing and enjoyable for her, but she’s been sorely missed here.  Her return next week is greatly anticipated…

No comments:

Post a Comment